[Spice_announce] Announcement: SPICE Programming Class

Charles H. Acton cacton at mailhost4.jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Mar 7 17:06:59 PST 2004

2004 SPICE Programming Class

The Navigation and Ancillary Information Facility
(NAIF) at JPL announces a "SPICE" Programming
class will be held at a hotel near Pasadena,
California on May 6-7, 2004.  SPICE is an
ancillary information system that provides
scientists and engineers access to spacecraft
orbit, attitude and similar information needed to
determine observation geometry used in planning
and analyzing space science observations, and to
conduct mission engineering planning and
analysis.  Check  http://pds-naif.jpl.nasa.gov/
for further information about SPICE.

This class is immediately preceded by, and is
considered an optional supplement to, a SPICE
tutorials presentation class held earlier in the
week.

The hands-on programming will be conducted using
problems selected by the student from a suite of
lessons prepared by the NAIF Team.  Each lesson
will include the problem statement, some tips to
get going, and the (or a) solution.  The problems
and corresponding solutions will be offered in C,
FORTRAN and Interactive Data Language (IDL).
Problems involving remote sensing, in-situ
measurements and event-finding will be offered in
addition to exercises involving various basic
SPICE operations.

Each student or student group must bring a laptop
computer having an OS and compiler supported by
NAIF (check
ftp://naif.jpl.nasa.gov/pub/naif/toolkit).
Before coming to the class students will be
responsible for having installed the SPICE
Toolkit, an appropriate compiler or IDL package,
and a suitable program development environment or
editor.  Students must also have downloaded the
programming lessons and the SPICE kernel files to
be used in the lessons--to be provided later.
(Internet connections will not be available.)

The class will assume the student is familiar
with one of C, FORTRAN or IDL programming, and
with basic math and geometry concepts.  It is
sometimes helpful if two or three colleagues
share a computer and work each problem together.

The class is open to all JPL and contractor
personnel, and is also offered  to JPL/NASA
colleagues-domestic and foreign-who are now
participating, or may participate in the future,
in any NASA space exploration endeavor where
SPICE capabilities could be useful.  There are no
ITAR restrictions on the material to be presented.

Pre-registration is required in order to ensure
availability of sufficient class space and
handouts.  Attendance may be limited to fit
available space and/or to ensure availability of
sufficient instructors. There is no charge for
attending this class.

Draft schedule:
   Thu  May 6   1:00 - 5:00
   Fri    May 7   8:30 - 5:00  (Students may leave earlier as necessary.)

Please indicate your interest in this class by
filling out and returning the form below no later
than March 30.  Further announcements will be
sent only to those who have responded by this
time.  Please use a separate form for each
potential applicant.  Please use the "other" form
for the SPICE Tutorials class.

Firm commitments about attending will be required by April 16.

JPL/NAIF will confirm your registration by April
20.  JPL/NAIF reserves the right to cancel the
class by April 30 for any reason.

Please forward this announcement to any of your
colleagues who might be interested in this class.

For further information contact Charles Acton:  charles.acton at jpl.nasa.gov.

==== snip ====== snip  ====== snip  ====== snip  ====== snip ====

                                      SPICE Programming Class
                                                Notice of Interest
                                     Return no later than March 30, 2004
                                   Return to:  charles.acton at jpl.nasa.gov
                   Please use a separate form for each prospective registrant

   [   ]     I expect to attend the SPICE
Programming Class on May 6 - 7, 2004.  I will
reconfirm by April 16.

                   orŠ

   [   ]     I may attend the SPICE Programming
Class but am not yet certain. I will decide by
April 16.  Please keep me informed.  I understand
acceptance is limited to space available.

Name:

E-mail:

Institution:

Project affiliation(s) (if any):

Programming language I expect to use:

    [   ]  C
    [   ]  FORTRAN
    [   ]  IDL

The operating system (name and version) on my laptop is:

The compiler (name and version) on my laptop is:

The programming subject(s) of most interest to me are:

    [   ]  Remote sensing
    [   ]  In-situ measurements
    [   ]  Event-finding  (e.g. occultation,
transit, closest approach, max latitude)
    [   ]  Basic SPICE operations