[Spice_announce] SPICE Tutorial Class

Charles H. Acton cacton at mailhost4.jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Mar 7 17:06:10 PST 2004

2004 SPICE Tutorial Class

The Navigation and Ancillary Information Facility
(NAIF) at JPL announces a "SPICE" Tutorial class
will be held at a hotel near Pasadena, California
on May 4-6, 2004.  SPICE is an ancillary
information system that provides scientists and
engineers access to spacecraft orbit, attitude
and similar information needed to determine
observation geometry used in planning and
analyzing space science observations, and to
conduct mission engineering planning and
analysis.  Check  http://pds-naif.jpl.nasa.gov/
for further information about SPICE.

The class will consist of SPICE tutorial
presentations by NAIF staff covering all aspects
of using SPICE data files ("kernels") and allied
SPICE Toolkit software.  Mechanisms for producing
SPICE files will be very lightly covered.

This class will not involve any hands-on
programming by the attendees, but a companion
class that immediately follows this one will
offer that training.

The class will begin with introductory material,
assuming no prior knowledge about SPICE on the
part of the students.  However, the presentations
will quickly move into considerable detail,
including some viewgraph-based program
development examples showing how to construct an
application program that uses SPICE Toolkit
software to compute parameters typically used by
the space science community.  Having some
familiarity with basic concepts of solar system
geometry and with computer programming will be of
benefit to the student.

The class is open to all JPL and contractor
personnel, and is also offered to JPL/NASA
colleagues-domestic and foreign-who are now
participating, or may participate in the future,
in any NASA space exploration endeavor where
SPICE capabilities could be useful.  There are no
ITAR restrictions on the material to be presented.

Pre-registration by April 16 is required in order
to ensure availability of sufficient class space
and handouts.  Attendance may be limited to fit
available space. There is no charge for attending
this class.

Draft schedule:
   Tue   May 4    8:30 -  5:00
   Wed  May 5    8:30 -  5:00
   Thu   May 6    8:30 - 12:00

Please indicate your interest in this class by
filling out and returning the form below no later
than March 30.  Further announcements will be
sent only to those who have responded by this
time.  Please use a separate form for each
potential applicant.  Please use the "other" form
for the SPICE Programming class.

Firm commitments about attending will be required by April 16.

JPL/NAIF will confirm your registration by April
20.  JPL/NAIF reserves the right to cancel the
class by April 30 for any reason.

Please forward this announcement to any of your
colleagues who might be interested in this class.

For further information contact Charles Acton:  charles.acton at jpl.nasa.gov.

==== snip ====== snip  ====== snip  ====== snip  ====== snip ====

                                           SPICE Tutorials Class
                                                Notice of Interest
                                     Return no later than March 30, 2004
                                   Return to:  charles.acton at jpl.nasa.gov
                   Please use a separate form for each prospective registrant

   [   ]     I expect to attend the SPICE
Tutorials Class on May 4 - 6, 2004.  I will
reconfirm by April 16.

                   orŠ

   [   ]     I may attend the SPICE Tutorials
Class but am not yet certain. I will decide by
April 16.  Please keep me informed.  I understand
acceptance is limited to space available.

Name:

E-mail:

Institution:

Project affiliation(s) (if any):