[Spice_announce] Problems using the new MAC OSX 10.7; discontinued support for two PC environments; updated SPICE tutorials

Acton, Charles H (343N) charles.h.acton at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Sep 19 13:02:32 PDT 2011

There is a problem (segmentation fault) when trying to use either the IDL
Toolkit ("Icy") or the alpha-test version of the Java Native Interface
Toolkit ("JNISpice") on the latest Mac OSX (version 10.7, a.k.a. "Lion").

There might be a similar problem using the Matlab Toolkit ("Mice")
although we don't yet have any reports about this.

The problem does NOT occur within the C Toolkits ("CSPICE"), and likely
does not occur within the Fortran Toolkits ("Toolkit").

We are working to identify and fix this problem; watch the ANNOUNCEMENTS
section of the NAIF home page:

http://naif.jpl.nasa.gov/naif/

As announced on 2/18/10, NAIF will discontinue further support for two PC
environments when the next Toolkit (N65) is released later this year:

  PC-Windows-Compaq Visual (Digital) Fortran, 32-bit
  PC-Windows-Lahey Fortran, 32-bit

An updated set of SPICE tutorials--those used in the just completed SPICE
Training Class for 2011--will be installed within the NAIF website within
a few days.  These will show "September 2011" as the date on the cover
pages.

--The NAIF Team