[Spice_announce] Announcing New NAIF Toolkit - Version N61

Boris Semenov Boris.Semenov at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Dec 4 13:08:52 PST 2006

The NAIF Team is pleased to announce the availability of a new version
of the NAIF Toolkit -- Version N61. Additions and changes are summarized
in the "whats.new" file that accompanies each Toolkit package, and that
is also available under the Toolkit link off of the NAIF website home
page (http://naif.jpl.nasa.gov). Below we summarize the major changes.

As always the Toolkit software is designed and expected to be backwards
compatible. Unless you were taking advantage of one of the few bugs in
this software you may safely link your own application program to the
N61 library of choice (Fortran, C or IDL) and expect to get the same
results as when using the N60 (or earlier) libraries.

NAIF has added five new computing environments to its supported list,
including support for the "new" Intel Macs. At the same time NAIF has
dropped support for all HP and VAX environments. The Toolkit is now
supported on nine Fortran environments, nine C environments, and six IDL
environments. See the "whats.new" file for a complete and detailed list
of all supported environments. NAIF asks that you *NOT* attempt to port
the Toolkit to an unsupported environment: your effort will almost
certainly not be successful as there are a number of subtleties that
must be properly addressed.

Based on many customer suggestions NAIF now provides all documentation
in HTML, complete with hyperlinks. This should make your use of the
extensive SPICE documentation much easier. See the "whats.new" for more
details about this. (There are a few residual problems with this our
first go at hyperlinking "all" documents. We'll hope to fix these few
problems by the time of our next Toolkit release.)

Two new applications are present in the N61 Toolkits.

   - MSOPCK converts attitude data provided in a text file as UTC, SCLK,
or ET-tagged quaternions, Euler angles, or matrices, optionally
accompanied by angular velocities, into a type 1, 2, or 3 SPICE C-kernel.

   - SPKDIFF computes differences between geometric states obtained from
two SPK files and either displays these differences or shows statistics
about them.

See the MSOPCK and SPKDIFF user guides for details about function and
operation.

A number of new object-name/object-ID mappings were added to the list of
built-in mappings.

See the "whats.new" for a detailed list of bug fixes made with this
delivery.

For your information, work continues on three major new capabilities
that we expect to offer in future Toolkit releases:

   - A Matlab interface to SPICE
   - The addition of a tesselated plate model and a digital elevation
model to the existing shape modeling facility (tri-axial ellipsoid model)
   - A very substantial set of new codes useful in finding "orbital
events" such as transits, occultations and elongations, as well as local
extrema and times when a geometric quantity is within a user-specified
range of values.

The NAIF Team hopes you will find the new and improved capabilities of
the N61 Toolkit useful. As always we solicit your comments and
suggestions for making SPICE better and easier to use.

For the NAIF team of Ed Wright, Boris Semenov and Nat Bachman,

Chuck Acton,
NAIF Manager
Charles.H.Acton at jpl.nasa.gov