[Spice_discussion] Long-term accuracy of the IAU_MOON frame

John Irwin john at jir1667.plus.com
Sun May 10 05:30:35 PDT 2015

Ernie,

The following observations may be of help.

Using the ME lunar orientation taken from DE430 (a successor to DE421 with a
longer time span) and comparing it with the IAU_MOON model between the years
1550 and 2000, I find there is a general increase in the angular difference
between these two models the further back in time you go. But at most the
linear difference is only 299 m on the lunar surface (sampling the
orientations at 1-day intervals).

Assuming the PA orientation taken from DE431 (a longer version of DE430) can
be converted to ME using the same offset as DE430, the difference in
orientation compared to IAU_MOON reaches 630 m going back to the year 1000.

Strictly speaking the ME offset for DE431 will not be the same as DE430
because of the slightly different modelling of the lunar orientation but I
cannot see them being vastly different. Unfortunately JPL have not
determined this offset for DE431.

So I would say the IAU_MOON model performs quite well over several hundred
years into the past, although it all depends on how far you want to go back
and whether the above errors are within your requirements. If not, perhaps
you can get NAIF to create a binary PCK from DE430 or DE431 over a longer
time span. I think the results should be compatible with the DE421
orientation used for LRO data.

John.