[Spice_discussion] Delta_t from Earth PCK?

Nat Bachman nathaniel.bachman at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jun 18 19:30:49 PDT 2015

Hi Ernie,

It's good we're having this discussion. :)

In a word, in the long term, LOW ACCURACY predict earth PCK file

    earth_070425_370426_predict.bpc

the value of

    TAI-UT1

is

    FIXED

after July 2007.

It's pointless to try to recover UT1-TAI from the predict region of
the file.

We (NAIF) have no ability to predict UT1-TAI. I've asked around the
JPL Navigation section; nobody is willing to offer a means of
predicting this quantity, even at a low level of accuracy.

The best NAIF can do is update the long term predict file to use
available data up to the current date.

The fact that you're getting good agreement with others' calculations
is notable, but it's not because the long term PCK is accurate.
I'd be cautious about getting a false sense of security from
the agreement of the predictions.

As you say, the time conversion routines you're using depend
only on the leapseconds kernel.

Best regards,

   -Nat