[Spice_discussion] Delta_t from Earth PCK?

Ernie Wright ernest.t.wright at nasa.gov
Thu Jun 18 19:06:05 PDT 2015

Hi Nat.

Thanks for replying!  I should've explained what I'm trying to do.  I've
calculated the circumstances of the 21 Aug 2017 solar eclipse using
earth_070425_370426_predict.bpc and I'd like to get some idea of the
delta_t (ET - UT1) that's implicit in that kernel for that date, for a
couple of reasons.

Your comments in the kernel say that beyond the end of the EOP's
coverage (July 2007), some things including UT1-TAI are "held constant."
  Based on the really good agreement I'm getting with eclipse
calculations others have done, I'm guessing that doesn't literally mean
that the implicit delta_t is frozen at the 2007 value.  Or I got lucky
and made two mistakes that cancel each other out.  Anyway, I wanted to
check.

The other reason is that I'd like to be able to tell people what delta_t
I used.

I'm willing to do the work necessary to back out the polar motion if
that's necessary, but I don't need high accuracy.

For ET <-> UTC, I've been making good use of ET2UTC and TIMOUT.  My
understanding is that those are independent of the PCK, depending only
on the leap seconds kernel.

- Ernie

--
Ernest T. Wright                                ernest.t.wright at nasa.gov