[Spice_discussion] SPICE and multi-threading?

Bridgman, William T. William.T.Bridgman at nasa.gov
Mon Sep 29 09:12:26 PDT 2014

Has anyone on the list used SPICE in a multi-core, multi-thread environment?  Basically calling SPICE in multiple threads sharing the same memory on a multi-core processor(s).

I’ve tried this launching multiple instances of python-wrapped SPICE for the case where I’m retrieving position snapshots of the same set of spacecraft and planets, but at multiple times (for generating animations).  The results were inconsistent and I switched back to single thread operation.

If SPICE is thread-safe, then I’ve probably done something wrong (perhaps not completely initializing or closing SPICE for each thread?)

Are there any guidelines available?

Thanks,
Tom
--
Dr. William T."Tom" Bridgman               Scientific Visualization Studio
Global Science & Technology, Inc.          NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center