[Spice_discussion] Subsolar independent of observer

John Irwin jir1959 at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 25 05:14:27 PDT 2012

Michael,

It sounds to me that what you are asking is, where on the surface of a body
would the Sun *appear* to be precisely "overhead" if you were to stand
there? This is how I understand the nature of the subsolar point and it does
not depend on an observer for it to exist (quantum-mechanical
interpretations notwithstanding!).

As body surfaces in SPICE are (mostly) modelled as ellipsoids, "overhead"
would be along a line perpendicular to the ellipsoid surface (the geodetic
normal). Therefore, simply find the position of the Sun relative to the
centre of the body and the body's body-fixed frame (spkpos), and then the
nearest point on the surface of the body from the Sun (nearpt). A line from
this near point to the Sun will lie on the geodetic normal at this point and
is therefore "overhead".

Now, as you require the "apparent" position of the Sun, you should use
"LT+S" corrections in the calculation of the relative position of the Sun.
In terms of light travel, this is the "reception" case. I don't think it is
sensible to exclude these aberrations when dealing with illumination issues.

Depending on your accuracy requirements, there is a slight complication with
this picture since the position of the Sun, and the corresponding
light-travel time, are for the centre of the body rather than the surface
point. The discrepancy is usually small for solar-system bodies, but if you
want to compensate for it then you can repeat the procedure using the near
point in the calculation instead of the centre of the body. To do this in
SPICE gets a little more complicated (more to set-up) but it's not
impossible.

John.