[Spice_discussion] Subsolar independent of observer

michael.aye at space.unibe.ch michael.aye at space.unibe.ch
Tue Apr 24 01:17:41 PDT 2012

Hi Nat,

thanks for the comprehensive explanations.

I have one remaining question:

For a given time at a given body I believe I *should* use 'receiving' correction for a more correct sub-solar point, no?
But I believe if I would use subslr with 'NONE' corrections the call to SPKPOS/SPKEZP is executed as well with 'NONE' and then my subsolar point could be several hundred meters wrong.

In other words, I believe it's actually more correct to do (using Icy style reception of results):

1. target_center_to_sun = spkpos(..,..,"LT+S")
2. subsolar = nearpt(target_center_to_sun, a,b,c)

then

subsolar = subslr(..., ..., 'NONE' ,'ANY') #using 'ANY' as any body

because subslr with 'NONE' would actually call spkpos or spkezp with 'NONE' as argument for the corrections.

I see differences for et='now' on Mars like this:

With the more precise method:
subsolar = (-1583.4710879693594, 2652.3666484879827, 1402.9611333997216)

just by using subslr with 'NONE' as correction:
subsolar = (-1583.6919801731583, 2652.2458296473565, 1402.940457170704)
Do you concur?

Best regards,
Michael