[Spice_discussion] Solar zenith angle and azimuth

K. -Michael Aye kmichael.aye at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 30 10:08:10 PDT 2010

Dear all,

is it possible with SPICE to calculate on an arbitrary coordinate on the Mars surface at an arbitrary epoch to calculate the local sun zenith angle and the azimuth of the sun?

I searched around a lot in the SPICE docs, but it seems that one always needs an observer frame, but I was hoping that this calculations are possible without having to write my own frame kernel.
I am aware that I need to define my local frame at my surface point on Mars, but I am not sure how.
Any help or hint for the right spot in the docs would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Michael