[Spice_discussion] Python Interface

Reid, Michael R. Mike.Reid at jhuapl.edu
Wed Dec 16 10:22:49 PST 2009

Hi Michael,

I agree with you. Python is an excellent language for many of the kinds of applications in which one might use SPICE. I use Python extensively.

It is possible to import cspice functions into Python programs using SWIG (http://www.swig.org/) and the Python distutils. Basically, you bind the SPICE functions into a shared object and effectively extend the language. I've done it successfully with individual SPICE functions on a Linux system. I haven't tried it on other platforms.

A true Python interface to SPICE as you suggest would be far better, but SWIG does work. Since NAIF apparently doesn't have the funding to create a true Python interface right now, SWIG might provide you with a workable, albeit somewhat cumbersome, way to use SPICE from within Python.

Good luck with this,

Mike Reid