[Spice_discussion] Error loading event kernel

Randy Kaelber randy at mars.asu.edu
Sat Sep 24 13:34:16 PDT 2005

On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 04:16:51PM -0400, Joe Knapp wrote:

>    Trying to use the event kernels for the first time, I'm having trouble
>    Linux system. I get the folllowing error:
>

>    Subscript out of range on file line 1509, procedure dasfm.
>    Attempt to access the 707406378-th element of variable prev.
>    Abort

It looks as though the kernel file is in big-endian format, but both your
Linux (presumably x86) and Windows computers are little-endian format. I
couldn't even toxfr the file on a little-endian machine, but I had no
problems on our Sun with it.

This is surprising because I thought SPICE had been endian-agnostic for
some few years now.  If you have a Sun box (or a Mac with SPICE), run
toxfr on the file, take the .xfr file to your PC, and run tobin on it and
use that resulting kernel file.

If you don't have access to a big-endian machine, Let me know and I'll
send you the xfr file I made separately.

--
Randy Kaelber                                        Randy.Kaelber at asu.edu
Scientific Software Engineer