[Spice_discussion] IK question

Aimee Mostella amostella at swri.edu
Tue Dec 6 14:29:37 PST 2005

Hi,

I'm creating an instrument kernel for the IES instrument on the
Rosetta spacecraft.  It is similar to the PEPE instrument on Deep
Space 1.  I read the SPICE instrument kernel tutorial which describes
how to write the IK such that the data could be accessed through the
getfov function.  However, because of the design of the IES
instrument, this would result in a rectangular shaped fov with a
boresight vector and only two boundary vectors instead of four.  This
is because the rectangular instrument fov wraps around to form a
cylinder so that the two upper boundary vectors are equivalent and
the two lower boundary vectors are also equivalent.  I was looking at
the PEPE IK and noticed that it was written such that the boundaries
of each bin are defined by the respective bin id, a bin lower
boundary and a bin upper boundary.  This seems much more appropriate
for the IES instrument.  Which one is the correct format for the IES
instrument kernel?  Also, should the vectors describing the fov be in
the IES frame?

Thanks

Aimee Mostella
Research Analyst