[Spice_discussion] de405.bsp vs de405s.bsp (planetary ephemeris)

Ed Wright ed.wright at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Dec 15 12:58:50 PST 2004

On Dec 15, 2004, at 12:40 PM, John R Shinaman wrote:

> I notice that there are two de405.bsp files (one de405.bsp and the
> other
> de405s.bsp).  Can someone explain the differences in these files, or at
> least point me to a site that will help in this matter?

The de405s.bsp kernel is a smaller version of the de405.bsp kernel. The
data coverage in de405.bsp spans Jan 1, 1950  to Jan 1, 2050. The
coverage in de405s.bsp spans Jan 1, 1997 to Jan 2, 2010.

> Jac Shinaman
> U.S. Geological Survey - Astrogeology
> 2255 N. Gemini Dr.
> Flagstaff, AZ 86001
> Work: 928-556-7180

As always,
Ed Wright
ed.wright at jpl.nasa.gov
1-818-354-0371

--
DISCLAIMER: JPL requires notice in all electronic communication that
any and all opinions presented herein are my own and do not, in any

Disclaimers are without standing on traffic from this domain.

I do not accept responsibility for unexpected collisions between NASA
vehicles and Alien cruisers, any resulting interplanetary war, or a
grumpy Kilrathi.