[Spice_discussion] Geometry Engine

Terry Z. Martin Terry.Z.Martin at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 19 10:24:26 PST 2003

Lee:

The below is all very nice for planning purposes, but does little (I
think) to deal with the reconstruction of geometry, in which case you
have the sampling time and some kernels, and need to get lat/lon,
distance, etc. etc. This is mentioned in your next-to-last paragraph.

I think the big advance there would come from providing template
software that could readily be adapted for an individual's needs. For
example, we took the Galileo PPR software that Nate Bachman helped us
with (extensively) and adapted it for use with Mars Global Surveyor
(where Boris did a lot of additional work). There is nothing like a
good sample program! You can read SPICE documentation until you are
blue in the face, but give me a sample every time.

Terry

PS. I would be happy to supply the code that we used on GLL and MGS.