[Spice_announce] New generic PCK and Updated Tutorials

Acton, Charles H (343N) charles.h.acton at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Mar 11 14:17:11 PST 2010

March 11, 2010

New generic PCK
----------------------
NAIF has placed an update of the SPICE “generic” PCK file on the NAIF server. This file contains orientation and size/shape data for the planets, natural satellites, Sun,  and selected comets and asteroids. With a few exceptions, documented in the file, the data are taken from the “Report of the IAU/IAG Working Group on Cartographic Coordinates and Rotational Elements: 2006."  The new file is named pck00009.tpc. The file may be accessed from the NAIF server ftp://naif.jpl.nasa.gov/pub/naif/generic_kernels/pck/ or from the NAIF web site by following the links “Data,” “Generic Kernels,” “generic_kernels,” and “pck.”

The new PCK also may be accessed using anonymous ftp to the location shown above.

We anticipate the IAU will publish its next “Report” fairly soon; NAIF will create a new generic PCK based on it soon thereafter.

Updated Tutorials