[Spice_announce] NAIF server problem

Acton, Charles H charles.h.acton at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri May 22 11:01:01 PDT 2009

Friday 5/22/2009  10:40 a.m. PDT

Dear Colleagues--

There is a problem accessing SPICE data and other items from the NAIF server when using a browser and trying to access an FTP-style URL.  The requested directory will eventually appear, but it may take 15 to 20 seconds.

There seems to be no problem in accessing web pages  (http-style URLs) and it appears that using command-line anonymous ftp works ok.  Example:

ftp naif.jpl.nasa.gov
Name (naif.jpl.nasa.gov):  anonymous
Passwd:  <your email, or something with an "@" sign in it>
Login successful
cd pub/naif/generic_kernels       (or cd pub/naif/<yoour_project>

  (etc.)

We have contacted our system administration staff for help, but do not know how long this problem will persist, especially given that today is a "Regular Day Off" for most JPL staff and Monday is a national holiday.