[Spice_announce] Improvements and Updates to Generic Kernels area on the NAIF Server

Charles H. Acton Charles.H.Acton at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Nov 5 15:24:25 PST 2006

Dear SPICE Users-

NAIF has done some work to update data in, and better organize,
portions of the SPK area within the generic_kernels tree on the NAIF
server:

   ftp://naif.jpl.nasa.gov/pub/naif/generic_kernels/spk/

An "aareadme" in this directory provides many of the details. But
below we provide those details, and a bit more information.

We hope you find these long-past-due changes helpful and
comprehensible. As always we solicit your feedback on further
improvements, problems created, or suspected errors.

We know still more clean-up and documentation of the generic_kernels
area is needed, and that provision of more/better tools to help you
pick a SPICE file or files for some particular endeavor would be
appreciated by many.

Best regards,
Chuck Acton, for the NAIF Team

I.  Organization
-------------------
We have somewhat modified the directory structure of the SPK trees,
adding an "/a_old_versions" sub-directory wherever one did not exist,
and moving old versions of the various kinds of SPK files to that new
sub-directory.

1) The most significant change is that the ../spk/satellites
directory is now rather smaller than it had been (although still not
really "small"). All older versions of natural satellite SPKs have
been moved to the a_old_versions folder; what remains in the primary
folder are just the latest files for each natural satellite.

A similar cleanup was done for the planets, comets, and asteroids SPK
directories. (One result is there are currently no comet SPK files in
the primary comet directory:  .../spk/comets).

2)  In each top level and each "a_old_versions" directory we have
provided three
files that provide some summary information, as follows.

    aa_summaries.txt:

       contains SPK content and coverage information for every .bsp
       file in that directory. These are produced using the Toolkit's
       "brief" utility program, with the -t option.

    aa_spk_production_dates_by-alpha.txt:

       provides a simple alphabetically organized directory listing of
       all the *.bsp files in the directory.

    aa_spk_production_dates_by-date.txt:

       provides a simple time ordered directory listing of all the *.bsp
       files in the directory.

CAUTION:  the date associated with each file is the date the SPK file
was produced on the NAIF machine. This is *NOT* the same as the date
the ephemeris solution was originally produced by the author of the
source product; in some cases there are many months or even years of
difference!

In most cases more and metadata about a given kernel are provided within
the so-called "comment area" inside the binary kernel. You can examine
this metadata using the "commnt" or "spacit" utility program found in
each SPICE Toolkit.  NAIF strongly recommends that a potential user of
a given kernel first examine these metadata before making a decision
about whether or not to use the kernel.

II.  Updates
----------------
The updating has been done only in the area of SPK files for natural
satellites and for some asteroids.

All current natural satellite ephemerides available from JPL's Solar
System Dynamics (SSD) Group (R. Jacobson in particular) have been
moved to the NAIF server and made into the usual style of SPK files
for such bodies. By "usual style" we mean that to the natural
satellites and the mass center of the parent planet that are received
on any given SSD satellite ephemeris file we add from an SSD planet
ephemeris file (one of the so-called "DE" files): the barycenter of
the planet system, the earth mass center and earth-moon barycenter,
and the sun.

There are a few rather new Satellites for which SSD either does not
yet have the data needed to make an ephemeris, or, does not yet have
permission to publish the ephemeris. As new ephemerides do become
available to NAIF we will add them to the generic_kernels collection
and update the pertinent summary files described above.

As a result of some work done for a flight project a new SPK file
containing ephemerides for a collection of 300 asteroids has been
generated: this is named "codes_300ast_20061020.bsp." the data cover
the period 1799 to 2200.  See the extensive comment file
(codes_300ast_20061020.cmt) for a complete description and pedigree
(source data provided by Jim Baer).
ftp://naif.jpl.nasa.gov/pub/naif/generic_kernels/spk/asteroids/