[Spice_announce] Fwd: Possible Server Interruption

Charles H. Acton cacton at mailhost4.jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jan 7 17:47:26 PST 2004

           NAIF Server Change -- Possible Service Interruption

On Monday, January 12 (PST), NAIF will switch the hardware that
provides the "naif.jpl.nasa.gov" SPICE server used by many flight
projects and other entities. We will be switching from a rather old
SPARC Ultra 2 to a pair of PC/Linux boxes.  This change will offer
greater reliability for this increasingly important service.  It will
also offer some performance improvement that should be helpful in the
future as more and more projects and individual customers come to
count on this service, especially when a comprehensive new set of web
services become available.

We have taken steps to minimize service disruption, but you may
experience some outage. This is especially true for those using the
Experimenter's Notebook with email-based entries: an outage of one or
two days is possible.

If you have any questions, please contact:

   Charles (Chuck) Acton

or any other NAIF team member.

If you haven't already done so, consider signing up with the
'spice_announce' news list for future announcements about NAIF/SPICE
services (see URL below).

Charles.H.Acton at jpl.nasa.gov                       Phone (818) 354-3869
Navigation and Ancillary Information Group/JPL     Fax   (818) 393-6388
Current SPICE Toolkit is Version N0056