[Spice_announce] Announcement

Charles H. Acton cacton at mailhost4.jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Dec 18 17:07:55 PST 2003

The Navigation and Ancillary Information Facility (NAIF) Team at JPL
sends its best wishes for a relaxing and exciting holiday.

We will be busy--as will some of you--supporting the Mars Express
start of orbit operations (Dec 25), Stardust encounter with comet
Wild 2 (Jan 2), and Mars Exploration Rover landings and surface
operations starting on Jan 4 and Jan 25, respectively.  We'll support
Cassini orbit operations at Saturn starting in July. Let's hope they
are all successful and give everyone much work in the year(s) ahead.
In the mean time we continue to regularly process data from Mars
Global Surveyor, Mars Odyssey, Cassini cruise, and Genesis.

We offer our regrets to the team at JAXA that worked so hard to save
Nozomi from the effects of a solar flare. The results of these
efforts were remarkable, even if ultimately not leading to a
successful Mars orbit insertion. Surely this experience will benefit
all future missions there.

With plans already in place (or nearly so) for working on all
upcoming NASA planetary missions, and with some prospective for use
of SPICE on a growing number of foreign planetary missions, we are
honored and excited to have a continuing role supporting the
worldwide science and engineering communities in solar system
exploration.

This year we have been especially pleased to be able to work with
colleagues at ESTEC in The Netherlands and at the widely dispersed
Mars Express science team institutions in Germany, France, Italy,
Sweden and England, to realize a small measure of international
cooperation. It's been a long learning process, but we hope the
Project Science Team and the PI teams will soon begin to see a good
return on their investment in learning how to use SPICE.

On occasion I quickly scan the FTP logs from the naif server, and am
both surprised and pleased to see how many different sites around the
world are downloading the SPICE Toolkit and assorted SPICE kernel
files.

While supporting ongoing missions and preparing for new ones is a
major activity for our small team, we are well aware of the need to
continue adding new capabilities to SPICE and to improve the current
capabilities and the data archiving and distribution processes. We
have a large "work list" to help steer our development efforts. Of
course we also appreciate your suggestions in this regard.

I anticipate the release of the next SPICE Toolkit in early CY 2004,
featuring "Icy:" the first official release of our Interactive Data
Language (IDL) interface to SPICE. It will also bring much improved
headers for the most used FORTRAN and C modules.

Amongst other things, we are working on:
   - A large family of event-finding modules (e.g. transit,
occultation, periapsis passage, etc., etc.)
   - Java Native Interface for SPICE
   - Digital terrain data closely interfaced with SPICE
   - Shape (plate) model for small, irregularly shaped bodies
   - Run-time SPK and CK generation
   - Dynamic reference frames
   - Regular updates of high-precision earth orientation files (binary PcK)

If you have any questions about SPICE--past, current or future, or
comments/suggestions, please feel free to contact Chuck Acton
(Charles.Acton at jpl.nasa.gov) or any of the NAIF Team members.

Here's wishing all of us high precision and much success in 2004!

Chuck Acton, Nat Bachman, Lee Elson, Boris Semenov, Ed Wright