(Most recent at top)
- 07/26/16 - The International Earth Rotation Service (IERS) has announced that a
new, positive leap second will be added at end of day (midnight) on
December 31, 2016. This new leap second will affect time conversions for
times occurring only on and after January 01, 2017.
The leapseconds kernels (LSK) on the NAIF server have already been
updated accordingly. The two versions, one for Unix/Linux/Mac
(naif0012.tls) and one for PCs running Windows (naif0012.tls.pc) are
available from the usual location on the NAIF server:
These new LSKs should be used starting now in any SPICE-based
applications dealing with time conversions for times occurring on or
after January 01, 2017, unless you wish to maintain consistency with a
previously generated product.
- 04/21/16 - An April 2016 SPICE Newsletter is now available, providing updates and status on a variety of SPICE-related topics. Included in this newsletter is information about NAIF's intention to hire a permanent new team member.
- 04/19/16 - A new set of the SPICE Tutorials has been uploaded to the NAIF server. Many—but not all—have been updated since the last update of May 2014.
- 04/15/16 - The European Space Astronomy Centre (ESAC) near Madrid, Spain will host a beginner's SPICE training class on September 12 - 15, 2016. Look here for details.
NAIF just completd a domestic class in April 2016. The next domestic class is likely around 18 months away.
- 12/21/15 - NAIF announces release of Version 3.0 of the SPICE-enhanced Cosmographia mission visualization tool. Read the PDF release announcement here.