[Spice_discussion] New Python package for interfacing SPICE with astropy: astrospice

Stansby, David d.stansby at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Jan 4 02:55:34 PST 2022

Hi all,

In the last couple of months I have been working on a new python package, that has two main aims:

  *   Allow easy discovery and download of spice kernel SPK sets for different missions
  *   Allow easy generation of astropy coordinate objects from SPICE kernels

As far as I know such a high level interface between SPICE kernels and astropy coordinates does not exist elsewhere. If it does I would be very grateful to be corrected! This new package is called “astrospice”, and documentation is available here: https://urldefense.us/v3/__https://astrospice.readthedocs.io/en/latest/__;!!PvBDto6Hs4WbVuu7!Zdk7pnIFtX8BCnrhj1xJ-nhGgDZn1XaeysAiJoRgoy_oNkq_-40KaOqBLS58fvAxsSpCF_PWJjZBGA$

I would be very interested in any feedback anyone has on the package – e.g. is it laid out sensibly, do the docs make sense? I guess this is also an advert for the new package. It is in a working state, and I intend to add more data sources to it over the coming weeks.

All the best,
David