[Spice_discussion] SpiceyPy 4.0.0 released!

Andrew Annex aannex1 at jhu.edu
Tue Dec 8 05:52:41 PST 2020

Hello fellow guild navigators!

SpiceyPy 4.0.0 has been released and is now available on PyPI and conda-forge.

The major version increase was due to a slight spelling consistency correction of "nintvls" in a handful of GF routines. If upgrading to this newest release keep that in mind, the full diff of this change is available at https://urldefense.us/v3/__https://github.com/AndrewAnnex/SpiceyPy/pull/387/files__;!!PvBDto6Hs4WbVuu7!dauIxczlcX3jMYZWSUmaMm5TbWV4JOb2p7DadMRW7SgoOB5gpHESrZdrBbzEBKCEo6nHQaZG5Ejcfw$ .

Otherwise, the BODEUL command is now available for users thanks to a user contribution.

The biggest changes to SpiceyPy over the past year have really been in the underlying CI support infrastructure.

I recently converted all of my continuous integration (CI) infrastructure to use GitHub action workflows due to management changes at Travis CI, and I changed the service I used for code coverage reports. Tests now complete much faster, and I also exercise the deployment side using the TestPyPi instance.
Additionally, I have improved the conda-forge cspice feedstock to rebuild cspice and all distributed executables from scratch on their CI infrastructure uniformly across all platforms. This should hopefully allow for a smooth transition to natively support M1 Apple Silicon (ARM) in the near future on the conda-forge. If you have an M1 mac (I don't yet and won't for a while) and you want to help out, please reach out to me.

For the full change log, plus for past releases and for any other information, please refer to the GitHub repository https://urldefense.us/v3/__https://github.com/AndrewAnnex/SpiceyPy__;!!PvBDto6Hs4WbVuu7!dauIxczlcX3jMYZWSUmaMm5TbWV4JOb2p7DadMRW7SgoOB5gpHESrZdrBbzEBKCEo6nHQaZWbYfreA$

As a reminder, SpiceyPy was recently peer-reviewed and published by The Journal of Open Source Software (JOSS).
Going forward, please remember to cite SpiceyPy in your work using the citation information and DOI made available by JOSS at https://urldefense.us/v3/__https://joss.theoj.org/papers/10.21105/joss.02050__;!!PvBDto6Hs4WbVuu7!dauIxczlcX3jMYZWSUmaMm5TbWV4JOb2p7DadMRW7SgoOB5gpHESrZdrBbzEBKCEo6nHQaYa6rwFHQ$  as well as the NAIF directly, following their instructions.

Thanks for reading!

--

Andrew Annex

PhD Candidate