[Spice_discussion] Creation of a Ruby Wrapper for C SPICE under SciRuby

Gaurav Tamba gaurav.tamba at gmail.com
Fri May 13 21:52:30 PDT 2016

Hello Everyone,

I hope you're all doing great. I'm an undergraduate engineering student
from India and I'm working on a project this summer for Google Summer of
Code where I'll be making a wrapper interface for the C SPICE library in
Ruby mentored by SciRuby (Formally, the project is listed here
<https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/projects/#5642148519084032>)

One of my main goals for this project besides just making a working wrapper
in Ruby that ports the API, is to create an additional abstracted ruby-like
API  (the obvious bit is to make a simpler API, but another task is
grouping multiple related functions into one function call for commonly
compounded tasks) and to make the use of SPICE a better experience for one
not so comfortable in C or FORTRAN.

I unfortunately have very little experience with the SPICE toolkit and am
primarily referring to this list here
<https://naif.jpl.nasa.gov/pub/naif/toolkit_docs/C/info/mostused.html> for
prioritizing which functions to port first. (Since the actual SPICE library
API is really large, it may not be possible to port more than a subset of
these features in the summer coding period, but I have no intention to stop
after that period is over either)

I'd be immensely obliged if anyone could share their most frequent use
cases with SPICE. This would help the most in the completion of the project.

I realize I've been vague about the specifics so please feel free to ask me
any specific ruby/non-ruby doubts about the wrapper.

Best Regards,
Gaurav