[Spice_discussion] Compiling SPICE software with gfortran

William Thompson William.T.Thompson at nasa.gov
Fri Nov 16 07:46:16 PST 2012

Folks:

I'm not sure this is a SPICE issue itself, but I thought somebody on this list
might know the answer.  We're in the process of converting over our Mac servers
to a newer version of OSX, and realized that we needed to replace or recompile
some of our software because they were originally compiled for the PPC platform,
which is no longer supported.

The first issue we ran into was the SPICE utility cksmrg.  I downloaded the
precompiled Mac/Intel version from the NAIF website, but quickly realized that
we needed to also install gfortran for it to find the necessary libraries.

We also have a small FORTRAN program that I wrote long ago which works along
with cksmrg to produce some of our pointing data files.  Most of our SPICE
software is written in IDL, but this small part had to be written in FORTRAN
because it calls some of the few SPICE routines that weren't ported over to IDL
(and I'm an old guy who's more comfortable with FORTRAN than C).

We quickly realized that it wasn't enough to install gfortran, but we also had
to install Xcode.  The command used to compile the program was

gfortran -C -o cksmooth cksmooth.f \
         /service/stereo3/stereo/software/spice_fortran/i386/lib/support.a \
         /service/stereo3/stereo/software/spice_fortran/i386/lib/spicelib.a

However, this produces the following error message.

ld: library not found for -lcrt1.10.6.o

Does anybody know what the problem might be?  I don't think it has anything to
do with the SPICE libraries, because I get the same error with another old
program that's independent of SPICE.

Thanks,

Bill Thompson

--