[Spice_discussion] question concerning apparent velocities &light-time

Ian Avruch i.avruch at sron.nl
Wed Jan 19 06:25:25 PST 2011

Dear Nat & John,

Thanks for responding so quickly! I understand your explanation, and I
can derive the
the same expression John gives for the term (1 - d(LT)/dt) in the
transmission case, namely:

t     =  ephemeris time
LT(t) = transmission light-time from 2 to 1 at time t
t'    = t - LT
R1(t)       =  ephemeris coordinates of observer
R2(t')      =  LT-corrected ephemeris coordinates of target
V1(t) = dR1/dt  = ephemeris coordinate velocity of observer
V2(t')= dR2/dt' = ephemeris coordinate velocity of target at t-LT

r(t) = R2(t') - R1(t)
n = r/|r|

      (this is a vector equation)

dr/dt = dR2(t')/dt' * dt'/dt - dR1/dt
      = V2(t') * (1 - d(LT(t))/dt) - V1(t)

      = V2(t') * ( 1 + n.V1(t)/c)  - V1(t)
                 ---------------               (1)
                 ( 1 + n.V2(t')/c)

The error in neglecting the term dt'/dt relative to keeping it is of
order, for small velocities,

delta(dr/dt) ~ V2(t') * (|V1|/c + |V2|/c)      (2)

In fact I'm interested in including Special Relativity in calculating
the apparent velocity of 2 to 1, because I want apparent radial
velocities in the solar system to be 'correct' to v/c <~ 1e-8, which
requires terms of order beta**2 in the Lorentz transform.

The way I would like to do it is to take the retarded velocity V2(t')
as an observable in the SSB frame, then boost it to the frame of observer 1
with a Lorentz transform

V21 = A_boost(V1) * V2

Were the V's are now 4-vectors and
A_boost(V1) is the boost matrix as in Jackson "Classical Dynamics" eqn
11.98 .
I reckon I can ignore acceleration over the ~10 seconds of interest,
and also GR effects on the clock rates at 1 and 2 and on the light-time.

I've spilt some ink over the algebra but still don't have a vector
expression for V12 I trust; too bad, I would have liked to include here the
difference with the SPICE result, as in equation (2). But must move on...

So, if you don't mind, two further questions:

(a) Do you think it's valid to simply take V2(t') and V1(t) as
    two SSB-frame velocities, and then ask what velocity 1 sees for 2
    via a Lorentz transform?  The important fact is my desired accuracy in
    V_radial/C ~ 1e-8, by which I can ignore accelerations & GR.
    I'm worried about forgotten factors; the d(LT)/dt has spooked me.

(b) Do you have the relativistic vector expression for V21, the
    apparent velocity of 2 wrt 1, which I can check (steal)?

Cheers
-Ian