[Spice_discussion] Geocentric Aries Ecliptic coordinates

William Thompson William.T.Thompson at nasa.gov
Thu Oct 7 13:48:19 PDT 2010

Folks:

This is a little off-topic for this group, but I figure somebody here might know
the answer to my question.

NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory mission is providing ephemeris information in
two coordinate systems, both using the ecliptic reference frame.  In SPICE these
would be realized with the ECLIPJ2000 reference frame.  One coordinate system is
heliocentric, and the other is geocentric.

Heliocentric ecliptic coordinates are well known.  In space physics these are
most commonly known as Heliocentric Aries Ecliptic coordinates, with the
abbreviation HAE.

The question is, what should the geocentric equivalents be called?  I've not
found any references which discuss such coordinates in the space physics
literature.  An obvious answer would be Geocentric Aries Ecliptic, but before
committing to that, I'm checking with various experts to determine whether
there's already a commonly used name for such coordinates.

Thank you,

Bill Thompson

--
William Thompson