[Spice_discussion] Re: question on coordinates of date (Bryan Butler)

Jon Giorgini jdg at tycho.jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jan 28 12:58:17 PST 2009

#1) The 0.001" J2000 astrometric difference is probably due to using DE421.
Horizons still uses DE405, and will until a suitable new long-term planetary
is completed (forecast: summer 2009).

DE421 is something of an interim improvement to the modern era solution,
primarily for spacecraft missions. The coming improvement will allow extension
to the more distant eras Horizons has to support for historical research.

#2) The difference in the TOD output from SPICE/SOFA is very likely Horizons
relativistic stellar aberration. Horizons "apparent RA/DEC" is not just wrt
the TOD coordinate system, but includes other effects on the perceived position
relative to the coordinate system.

You might not get exact agreement between SPICE & Horizons due to other issues
like light-bending+, but requesting stellar aberration in your "SPKEZR" call
should remove most of it.

Jon Giorgini                       |  Navigation & Mission Design Section
Senior Analyst                     |  Solar System Dynamics Group
Jon.Giorgini at jpl.nasa.gov          |  Jet Propulsion Laboratory