[Spice_discussion] Re: SPKs for HST?

Mark Showalter mshowalter at seti.org
Sat Dec 30 09:21:30 PST 2006

Chuck,

I agree with Dick.  I would like "official" SPKs for Hubble on those
occasions when it is observing Solar System targets where precise
geometry is needed.  This would include stellar occultations and
maybe a few others events---for example, I could never resolve some
pointing and timing issues with Metis and Adrastea at Jupiter; I
suspect that HST's parallax may have played a role.

These issues could probably be handled on a "by request" basis.  As
Dick notes, the number of such cases is rather small.

So I am endorsing your alternative #1.

--Mark