[Spice_discussion] 64-bit SPICE support

Gregory Fruth Gregory.Fruth at aero.org
Mon Aug 21 13:43:08 PDT 2006

Hi SPICE Discussion,

I was able to build a 64-bit SPICE for Linux/AMD64 (CentOS/RHEL) using
the fixes suggested by P. Nilsson:

http://naif.jpl.nasa.gov/pipermail/spice_discussion/2005-November/000067.html

For the future, would it be possible to get his fix included in the
default SPICE?  The changes are quite minor but have to be implemented
in a lot of files (or rather, many copies of the same files), which is
rather tedious to do by hand.

Also, perhaps it would be more advantageous to use the predefined
C preprocessor symbol __LP64__ rather than explicitly testing for
CSPICE_ALPHA_DIGITAL_UNIX, CSPICE_PC_LINUX64, etc. because each
64-bit platform would require a new symbol.

I have no experience with 64-bit Windows, but I gather that they use
the LLP64 (aka P64) data model rather than the LP64 model employed by
most Unices.  MSVC evidently defines the symbol _WIN64 in such
instances:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetserv/html/ws03-64-bitwindevover.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/win64/win64/the_tools.asp

--