[Spice_discussion] Using Icy on Solaris

Ed Wright ed.wright at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Sep 16 12:31:28 PDT 2005

To: William Thompson
From: Ed Wright, Icy Developer

On Sep 16, 2005, at 12:18 PM, William Thompson wrote:

> Dear SPICE folks:
>
> The Icy documentation includes the statement below about 32-bit versus
> 64-bit. I don't personally have a Sun to test it out on, but I had a
> user run into this problem when he tried to use an IDL routine I had
> written.  I notice that there are actually two different Sun builds,
> one using the gcc compiler, and the other using the native Sun C
> compiler.  Do both versions have this limitation?

Yes. The Icy libraries compiles to a 32 bit form under both gcc and the
Sun cc. For either Icy distribution, you must invoke IDL with the -32
option on a Sun.

> Can one get around it by recompiling?

No and Yes.

No, simply recompiling Icy with 64 bit options will not allow use of
the 64 bit IDL. Icy is not 64 bit clear (yet) also the corresponding
cspice library would need a recompile to 64 bit form.

Yes, it is possible to do so, but NAIF does not currently offer a 64
bit Icy.

As always,
Ed Wright
ed.wright at jpl.nasa.gov
1-818-354-0371

--
DISCLAIMER: JPL requires notice in all electronic communication that
any and all opinions presented herein are my own and do not, in any

Disclaimers are without standing on traffic from this domain.

I do not accept responsibility for unexpected collisions between NASA
vehicles and Alien cruisers, any resulting interplanetary war, or a
grumpy Kilrathi. I take full credit if we take out a Covenant
capital ship, frying the Elites and Brutes.