[Spice_discussion] Two-line elements

Ed Wright ed.wright at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Oct 26 16:12:08 PDT 2005

To: William Thompson
From: Ed Wright

The mathematical model used to represent orbits as TLEs assumes orbit
around the earth. To my knowledge, TLEs have never been used for
objects beyond earth orbit. The forces and perturbations beyond the
earth's sphere of influence greatly differ from the inherent
assumptions of the TLE model.

As always,
Ed Wright
ed.wright at jpl.nasa.gov
1-818-354-0371

--
DISCLAIMER: JPL requires notice in all electronic communication that
any and all opinions presented herein are my own and do not, in any

Disclaimers are without standing on traffic from this domain.

I do not accept responsibility for unexpected collisions between NASA
vehicles and Alien cruisers, any resulting interplanetary war, or a
grumpy Kilrathi. I take full credit if we take out a Covenant
capital ship, frying the Elites and Brutes.