[Spice_discussion] msopck on MacOSX

Ed Wright ed.wright at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Apr 7 08:01:54 PDT 2005

To: Naru Hirata
From: Ed Wright, JPL/NAIF

On Apr 6, 2005, at 9:47 PM, Naru HIRATA wrote:

> Dear NAIF guys,
>
> The MacOSX version of 'msopck' utility distributed at NAIF FTP server
> doesn't work (stop with Segmentation fault error) on my PowerBook.
>
> My environment is...
> Hardware: PowerBook G4 15" 1.25GHz RAM 1GB
> OS: MacOSX 10.3.8 (7U16)
> toolkit version: N0058 (C language ver.)

Did you reset your stacksize shell parameter for your OS X shell?

The default OS X stacksize is insufficient for several SPICE utilities
due to the need to allocate memory for large, static arrays. In tcsh,
reset the stacksize limit with:

    limit stacksize 60megabytes

If using the bash shell, apply the ulimit command:

    ulimit -s 61440

Example:

skynet 11: limit
cputime         unlimited
filesize        unlimited
datasize        6144 kbytes
stacksize       61440 kbytes
coredumpsize    0 kbytes
memoryuse       unlimited
descriptors     256
memorylocked    unlimited
maxproc         100

skynet 12: ./msopck

MSOPCK Utility Program, Version 3.0.0, 2003-05-05; SPICE Toolkit Ver.
N0058

Usage:

   > msopck <setup_file> <input_file> <output_ck_file>

As always,
Ed Wright
ed.wright at jpl.nasa.gov
1-818-354-0371

--
DISCLAIMER: JPL requires notice in all electronic communication that
any and all opinions presented herein are my own and do not, in any

Disclaimers are without standing on traffic from this domain.

I do not accept responsibility for unexpected collisions between NASA
vehicles and Alien cruisers, any resulting interplanetary war, or a
grumpy Kilrathi.