[Spice_discussion] RE: Cookbook for CSPICE? (Matthew M. Copeland)

Ed Wright ed.wright at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri May 21 09:13:57 PDT 2004

On May 21, 2004, at 9:09 AM, Matthew M. Copeland wrote:

> Thanks for the pointers.  In the source directory, I found what I was
> looking for in the subpt program.  I've modified it just a little to
> accept a kernels text file that lists the files to include, but I'm
> getting an error that I can't quite figure out how to solve, and I'm
> hoping that someone might be able to give me a hand.
>
> Here is the output:

>              Welcome to SUBPT
>
> This program demonstrates the use of CSPICE in computing
> the apparent sub-observer point on a target body.   The
> computations use light time corrections.
>
> Enter the location of the kernels.txt file:
> /home/spice/kernels/kernels.txt
>
> Working ... Please wait.
>
> Enter the name for the observing body: titan
>
> Enter the name for a target body: cassini

It seems you reversed your observer and target bodies. The routine
finds the sub-point of the observer on the target, the subpoint of
Titan on Cassini has no meaning.

As always,
Ed Wright

--
DISCLAIMER: JPL requires notice in all electronic communication that
any and all opinions presented herein are my own and do not, in any

Disclaimers are without standing on traffic from this domain.

I do not accept responsibility for unexpected collisions between NASA
vehicles and Alien cruisers, any resulting interplanetary war, or a
grumpy Kilrathi.