[Spice_discussion] SPK, DAF and multithreaded programs

Randy Kaelber Randy.Kaelber at asu.edu
Fri Nov 21 11:16:41 PST 2003

Hello.

I don't know if this list is the right one for this question, but I will
try it here anyway.

I have been busy wrapping the CSPICE library in a JNI shared library such
that Java developers access SPICE functionality.  I have been successful
so far, but I am having a problem with one of our requirements.

We need to have the ability to have separate pools of SP kernels, for
comparison purposes, in our application.  In ordinary applications, I can
see how to do this, as I basically would need to duplicate the
functionality of spksfs using DAF calls.  However, I have noticed that
apart from getting the DAF file record, there seems to be no way to
readily read the DAF files without using the stateful dafcs, daffna,
daffpa, dafbbs, dafbfs family of calls.  This could cause problems with
multithreaded programs that are mixing calls to CSPICE and with my
extension, as it could leave the DAF pointers in non-determinstic states
between the threads.

Am I missing something here and making this way more difficult than it
should be, or do I have to just use dafrdr and dafrda and do all the
pointer arithmetic on my own?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

--
Randy Kaelber                                        Randy.Kaelber at asu.edu