[Spice_announce] Important news about access to the NAIF server

Acton, Charles H (392N) Charles.H.Acton at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Oct 1 15:08:00 PDT 2018

New NASA cybersecurity policy has required that NAIF immediately make some changes to some of its publicly available web pages. In particular we
were required to add a NASA-mandated header and footer to every web page,  even to pages that show directory listings for project and PDS SPICE
data directories. We believe this should have minimal or no effect on our users, but cannot be certain of this. We urge users of the NAIF server to quickly check any automated access to NAIF’s pages.

Some NAIF/SPICE users make use of the Unix wget command to obtain new mission data on a regular basis. You might have to modify your wget
command to reject all additional HTML files that might appear due to this change (using the "--reject 'index.html*'" option). CURL and other data transfer commands may need equivalent changes.

Also, NASA is eliminating use of the anonymous ftp protocol for public access from outside of institutional firewalls , such as is currently available on the NAIF server. FTP access to NAIF from outside of the JPL domain will be terminated as of March 22, 2019 at the latest; the https protocol must be used in its place. For example, instead of this FTP link used to access generic kernels:

    ftp://naif.jpl.nasa.gov/pub/naif/generic_kernels/

use this link:

   https://naif.jpl.nasa.gov/pub/naif/generic_kernels/