[Spice_discussion] Python support for SPICE

Robert French rfrench at seti.org
Fri Sep 26 13:38:47 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I work with Mark Showalter. We have a Python/CSPICE interface that we
use internally for all our projects, including powering the metadata at
the PDS Rings Node. Our wrapper supports over 250 CSPICE calls and is
fully integrated with Python including exception handling. It works on
Mac, Windows, and Linux platforms, both 32- and 64- bit. We are happy to
share it with the community with the caveat that we are not able to
provide any significant level of support.

The source code is available on GitHub:

https://github.com/SETI/pds-tools

Check out the README file in the root directory and the various make
scripts for your operating system in the cspice directory. They contain
explicit instructions for how to compile and use the library. Several
pre-compiled object files are there as well, but there is no guarantee
that they are all up to date. We only compile them as needed for our work.

Any questions can come to me: rfrench at seti.org

Rob French

P.S. We do all of our work in Python these days and have written well
over 150,000 lines of code for our research. We love Python and think
that anyone who is considering switching from IDL will be happy with
their choice.